View Single Post
Old 09-25-22, 10:02 AM
ToniH. 

Bikes: 66' Rene Herse, 75' Alex Singer, 80' Routens Touring, custom Rivendell, Miyata 600GT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I found a post that has all the right answer. Seems that the same aftermarket cage that works for nuovo record, doesn’t fit the record. But the shimano seems to work!

Originally Posted by bulgie
Not what you asked, but a Fun Fact: A Crane cage (short or GS) bolts right onto a Campy Record, the older steel and bronze one (early '60s) that preceded the NR.

If you need a wider gear range than a Record can wrap, and you refuse to put a proper touring derailer on your old racing bike for sentimental reasons, the GS cage can make that happen. It's not going to fool anyone, but you can plausibly claim it was done back in '72 or whenever, to salvage a little vintage cred.

I sorta lied about "bolts right on", there is a tiny little blip of aluminum you must remove from the GS cage, but it takes 5 seconds with a Dremel and it doesn't prevent it from working on the Crane mech if you switch it back (non-destructive)

• Don't remove the entire raised bump if you want to be able to put it back on the Crane. Try mounting the Record spring cap to the cage and you'll see where you need to remove a little aluminum. It's a small portion of the entire raised bump. so the bump still works as intended on a Crane.
  • Tapping threads for the "pawn" bolt is optional. That bolt isn't touched at all while riding, it's just for making wheel changes a little easier. It does the same thing that the raised bump does, when on a Crane, keeping the cage from over-rotating while the wheel is off.
The fact that the GS cage already has a hole right there where the pawn bolt needs to go, the right diameter to take a M5 thread, and not used for anything else, makes me think maybe they actually intended this cage to work on a Record mech. Crazy, but why else is that hole there?

Even putting the short Crane cage on a Record improves it's shifting and range a little, and saves some weight (the Record cage is steel). But I'd only do it if my Record cage was mucked up somehow. Otherwise, keeping it original trumps the tiny advantages of the "upgrade".

Note, a NR or Rally cage will not bolt onto a Record, their attachment is different. Similarly the Crane cage will not bolt onto a NR. If you have a NR then the long cage to get is the Rally, or the modern repro of it, sold by Soma.

Mark B

now I just have to find a crane for the cage…

Last edited by ToniH.; 09-25-22 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For ToniH.: