Old 12-01-22, 03:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by denis_987
It is a Ghost Square Trekking 4.8 at least 4 or 5 years old
ya, I remember when they were selling Ghost bikes at MEC.
It has good gearing with the 48/36/26 and 11-34
Be sure to check the rack bolts every week or so, they tend to loosen with panniers on day after day. Do not over tighten though.
Don't forget to be careful if you have to remove a wheel if you get a flat, to not press the brake handles. Being hydraulic discs, if you do this, you can over extend the pads and cause problems with seals.

I found Mexico to be pretty good for broken glass on roads. Guatemala is much worse, but you still have to be careful. And you could be going through areas with thorns, so again, you have to be on the ball. It is too late for tire suggestions because your bike is already down in Texas. I was pretty lucky for not having flats, but one never knows. I did have pretty good tires though.

touche de bois, touch wood,

Also when I know that I have just run over some glass, I take 1 minute , stop and run my finger over each tire to make sure a tiny piece isn't just starting to stick in, I don't always always do it, but often if I think its worth it because I will catch a small sharp piece before it works its way deeper. Be careful when pushing your bike over grass and whatnot, for thorns. I have clear memories of seeing field workers with their bikes upside down and running a cloth over their tires to dislodge stuck in thorns.

Last edited by djb; 12-01-22 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For djb: