View Single Post
Old 03-16-06, 04:08 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Features I desire after having owned 4 different touring bikes and 48 years of cycling. Connections for front and rear racks and fenders. Bruce Gordon rear racks have an offset to make changing the rear wheel easier and a 'brazeon' on the rack to keep fender stays away from the dropouts. Beefy tubing. Room for 38 to 43mm tires and matching fenders. I may not use them all of the time but I want to be able to. A triple with a 22x32 low or better. Drop bars. Mechanical brakes. Cantilevers for big tires and muddy conditions. Disc brakes if I will be facing a lot of big descents with a full load. I do not have discs now. Good tech support from the builder. (Bias for Bruce Gorden, I live a 22 mile ride from his shop). Rust-proof fittings. Parts that are generally available as exotic hardware might be difficult to replace while on tour. A wife that wants to pick you up at work if it is raining hard. Have had that one for 35 years come St. Patricks Eve. . She also pushes me to replace worn gear when it get ratty looking . And likes to run sag stops on double centuries and longer brevets. .