View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 04:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Sorting through some handlebars for a touring setup. I usually like a 42cm bar and have several but wanted to try a Randonneur bend, difficult to find that wide. Well, I got an SR out of the co-op's dumpster and it's stamped 42 and measures it but the bar narrows quite a bit at the levers so the width I like is not where I'd be spending most of my time, on the levers. Comparing it to another foundie (like a freebie, only different) shows them very close in width at the ends but not in the middle. Photo angle shows more of a width difference at the ends than actually exists.

Looking at my Cresta GT, the project in mind, its Randonneur bar is also a 42 but a different configuration with much greater width at the levers than the SR bars have. Rats! I was hoping to yank this original bar/stem/levers combo and park it while I use something else on the bike but if the bar is the best of my bunch but I want a different stem and aero levers then I have to take it all apart. Nothing is ever simple.

*edited for more pix*

So here's the Cresta with its stock 42cm Randonneur bar with the setup I'm planning to use, a normal 42cm drop bar on a Technomic stem. This one is slightly wider at the levers but the stock ain't bad by comparison.

And here is the found SR 42cm Randonneur bar compared to stock; more rise and even narrower at the levers, which I feel somewhat negates its width. The flare does make the SR as wide as the stocker at the ends but I'm afraid it'll feel cramped riding on the levers.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-27-21 at 01:21 PM.