I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
I was a paperboy for a long time. The Philadelphia Daily News in the late 70s was one of two afternoon papers. The Bulletin ent under and I doubled my route. As the small kids quit I juts took the routes ans expanded I had a post war early 50s Schwiinn Cruiser with a springer and a giant Wald basket.<it was an absolute beast to pedal but every say after school I was grinding the neighborhood. I took out a loan from the older paperboy that was quitting for $15 and paid over 3 weeks for it. I later bought an early 70s Schwinn Varsity 10 spd and used a bag until I got a Motorcycle a 1981 Yamaha DT 250 Enduro. The paper route kept me in gas, oil and tires. Those were the days.
I don't know what kind of bicycle I used back then to deliver papers, but it had a big basket in front in which I placed the paper bag with some of papers already folded for a fling off the bike while still moving. Handling was always touchy and I remember once dumping a load of papers into the street when I got fouled up in the 52 trolley's tracks at a location near where this photo was taken. The 52 trolley line was converted to bus service in 1956 but the tracks were still there for many years waiting to trap careless or unwary bike riders. I remember squashing pennies on the tracks via the 52 trolley wheels prior to 1956 as I lived nearby.