Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
Not enough data to give a real report yet.I have only used three days , two grams twice and one gram today.
I felt a little tired today and my numbers were a little lower.I think this was because I have ridden the trainer pretty hard
seven days in a row.I will rest a day.
I use the Nutricost brand and its cheaper from amazon and if you have prime no additional shipping.
I was browsing the latest "how much protein" thread and saw something at a link that said people with a history
of kidney stones should be careful with calcium supplements.There are 140 mg of calcium per gram of HMB.
I have passed two stones in my life, and they where nineteen years apart so I do not think I am what they call a stone former.
But this info has gotten my attention.I do suffer from gout, so it likely a uric acid stone and not a calcium stone.
My gout is well controlled by medication and acute episodes are rare.
The first stone back in year 2000 went down the toilet so could not be analyzed .
I still have the one from two years ago, never sent it in for testing.
I found a lab that will do testing direct to individuals so I believe I will be
limiting the HMB until I know more.
Don't mean to make this a Pills n Ills thread , but this needs to be considered if you are prone to stones
and are thinking of using this supplement.
Stone production is complicated and also rare in healthy individuals. After a couple hours with the google, the most authoritative piece I found on it is here: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...stones_prevent

I've been eating a Med diet for 50 years and using whey protein daily since ~1998 with no problems. For the past several years I've been supplementing with calcium citrate in the morning and magnesium citrate in the evening. Citrate is an effective preventative for the uric acid type of kidney stone. As the above article says, don't be afraid of calcium. It's good for you. I take 650mg of calcium citrate before every sweaty workout and 200mg magnesium glycinate after.