View Single Post
Old 07-17-21, 07:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
My bike has really wide rims (25mm internal width) so I'm not really too concerned with the lead weights interfering with the tire beads. Putting some rim tape over the weights seems like a reasonable alternative to epoxy.

I understand that an automotive tire is considerably heavier than a bicycle tire. However, when I pick-up my rear wheel and give the tire a good spin, it's very obvious the wheel isn't balanced... likely because my wheels came with these insanely long tubeless valve stems. One thing I'm going to do is buy much shorter valve stems and see what that does. I also have my speed sensor magnet on the opposite side of the valve stem, at least on my rear wheel, so maybe a lighter valve stem and the relatively heavy magnet will come 'close-enough' to balancing the rear wheel.
Have you determined which part of your rim and tire assembly is heaviest?

I worked as. shop mechanic during the age when everybody wanted a wheel magnet bike computer so I installed a lot of them. Naturally, I wanted to install the wheel magnet on the lightest part of the rim. What I discovered was that when I took a front wheel and let it rotate until it came to rest, the valve stem was almost always at the top.