View Single Post
Old 01-25-21, 10:17 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You should put up a separate WTB for the 7 speed bar ends. You'll find them. Also you might want to put up a separate WTB for a shimano indexing long cage rear derailleur. The Deore XTs are pretty bombproof and index great.

The triple you just bought is a 110/74. You can go 50/34 with the outer two. You could try running it using the middle and inner only in which case you can run as low as 24 on the inside. I've never set it up that way though.

If you want a vintage double that can go as low as 32 on the inside, you can look for a 50.4 bcd crank (TA is the most famous) (new chainrings are available on eBay) or an 86 bcd crank (Stronglight 99 is the most common but SR and other companies made a copy) (new chainrings are available from UK vendors like Spa cycles). Nervar 631 is a TA copy and you can pick one up for less than a TA. One good thing about Nervar is that you don't need a special chain puller. With an 86 bcd crank, you can go as low as 28 on the inside and with the TA (or TA copy) you can go as low as 26 if memory serves me right.
These are all great points. I just heard back from the race organizers and they are going to get feedback from all the vintage riders once registration closes. Then we'll have a consensus on what is acceptable for the drivetrain. I suppose I'll just focus on the other parts that I need for now and get the shifty bits later. They alluded that 8s indexed might be acceptable, and if so that would definitely be the way to go.