View Single Post
Old 08-24-17, 08:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It's not better judgement, just a willingness to use judgement. If there are no cars on the road, a cyclist can't be hit by one. It doesn't really take superior judgement to recognize this. When no cars are present, coming to a full and complete stop does nothing to increase your safety. But if it makes you feel good, there's no reason not to do it.
+1. How on Earth do some of these folks ever cross a street that is NOT protected by a stoplight?

I cross all sorts of major thoroughfares from side streets with only a stop sign facing me. Isn't this fairly common? I roll up to the stop sign, and depending on line of sight and traffic (or lack of traffic) I slow down, or stop, look both ways, and cross when it is safe. It is the EXACT SAME THING running a red light instead of a stop sign. Exactly the same technique. And no more dangerous. Wait until nothing is coming, then go. Why is this concept so impossible for some to grasp? They may not want to DO it, but certainly they can see plain as day that it is exactly the same situation. Truly perplexing.