Old 04-05-18, 04:07 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Why so short?
Positioning within the constraints mainly. Not sure if it makes sense, but even at 16x, the crankarm is a little too long at the top while being too short at the bottom. From an aerodynamics standpoint (at least in my own testing) pushing the greater troch to almost flat at TDC (which also seems to flatten the foot) is a good thing, in my case a very good thing. Unfortunately it seems to be pretty dependent on your leg proportions as to whether you cut off power by closing the hip that far. For me I can't seem to adapt to it, so going short should help me open up the tdc without bringing my saddle height out of range. Would still have to test it... even if it brought my power back up in line with my road position it might not be worth the aero hit I take but the hope would be more comfort and power with only a minor hit to CdA.

If you look at *most* higher caliber pro women TTer's you'll see that's a pretty common thing (and in general most top end women have much lower CdA than men... of course it also helps to be ~30+lbs lighter with *generally* narrower shoulders and *usually* something to naturally fill in the gap between the chin/stomach) at their tdc.