aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
Omnium sucks, simply said.
It's the track cycling pentathlon.. champion doesn't have to win any race, normal people do not understand some races, points, etc.

And we could have 5 different races in its place.
Maybe with less "plastic crashes"..

On the other hand, I can see why the Kilo isn't a "mass, TV, interesting event" - long and solo qualys, no crashes, no "last second" definitions on the line - not for the common spectator, only "us" racers capable of appreciate the effort, the split times, etc.
popping in kind of late on this. I can see why it's not a particularly interesting televised event, either - but that has to do with the bad/budget television production of these events. i communicate data for a living, and i can think of a bunch of ways to display split data in an exciting way that gives commentators more to talk about, gives audience ways to contextualize performances against each other, and makes the whole event more exciting.

honestly, of all the time trials in the sport to watch, track cycling probably offers the most opportunity for interest - but broadcasts haven't really figured out how to tell the story of the event.

https://medium.com/@montesano/data-v...t-acd52d1eda79