View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Lions, you can avoid going over the bars by redistributing your weight. Some of you seem to be missing the "emergency" part of the stop, its not going to be pretty and risk free. Lions you think its hard to lock up your back wheel which tells me that you aren't using the front nearly as hard as you could be. The rear is just a backup and if you NEED it to help you stop and avoid going over the bars you are doing it wrong.

If you have a problem going from 0-100 slamming your brakes as hard as you can you have something you could work on if you wanted to. It's definitely possible, and the back brake doesn't really do anything in that situation except skid the rear, which TBH is honestly fine but still not ideal.

Let's be clear--I think hitting the brakes as hard as I can is doable, it's the possibility of doing this without intending to I was objecting to. I don't lock my wheels because it is never my instinct to do so, and I think it's almost never the right strategy. "Training" myself to do it is likely counterproductive as it could only serve to supplant by conditioning the set of emergency reflexes I have which have served me quite well to this point. Also, high speed brake lock is a risky maneuver under any conditions, "practicing" it to reduce the likelihood of getting hurt later in the unlikely event that it is the best strategy in a later incident really is probability malpractice. Looking over what I wrote, I obviously wasn't as clear about that as I should have been.

If it's a real emergency, you are claiming that it's faster to redistribute your weight than it is to touch the rear brake. That's just ridiculous.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about, and your track record is not something anyone would want to emulate with the broken neck and all. Just stop telling us what you think we'll benefit from because at this point, your "advice" is only good for the lulz.

And how does anyone go from 0-100 slamming the brakes? The numbers are stupid, but they're also in the wrong direction. Are you using your brake to speed up your bike?