Old 06-05-22, 12:40 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
The Edge 1030+ is on sale right now. Tempting to buy a new computer as my 520 is on its last legs. BUT...I keep thinking an Edge 540 and/or 1040 is just around the corner.

So. Buy a new, yet older technology(?) now? Or wait potentially a year for the new Edge computers to be released.

Decisions, decisions...
Garmin does not have a good track record on stability of the product on introduction, typically seeming like they introduce a beta level product. My experience has been to wait a year on their bike computers.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Also give a good look at a Hammerhead Karoo 2. Its a very polished and usable device. Arguably does navigation and TBT better than Garmin, certainly has nicer screens and maps. Doesn't have the battery life but thats sometimes only an issue if doing double centuries or touring someplace where you cannot charge and yiu can always run it on a battery stick. They are regularly updating, much better at bug fixes and updates than Garmin. The screen is only marginally smaller than a 1030.
Agree with most of this. This would be my choice. FWIW, I thought I was having battery issue with my Karoo 2 (K2) so I did a "kitchen table" ride where I let it run until the battery was depleted. Display was at around 30% brightness, some graphical displays (which typically are more battery intensive), and a full suit of sensors that it should have been searching for. Battery life was 13 hours which seems pretty good to me. The fuel gauge display was a bit wonky, but the actual battery capacity was solid and decent. The provided foot and mounting is better than Garmin's qtr turn although they also have an adaptor so you can use that too.