Old 01-02-23, 10:22 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm not into the SS or FG thing myself, but if I was, your logic that everything is undoable by replacing the stops and clamps seems sound.

I just highlighted and colored red the things that are inline with my thoughts on spending money on an old bike. I'm over here enjoying the wrenching and riding. Not making investments.
I hadn't been into it either other than I have seen some BEAUTIFUL builds on this side of the fence and wanted to build something like that. Plus I always want to try different bike stuff and after buzzing around on a coaster brake folder a bit I thought it might be fun to build a single speed. That little folder was a blast, so much so I bought an older one with a 6 speed and rebuilt it for running errands. It also came in real handy after my knee surgeries! At my age and with 2 knee replacements a fixed gear is a definite no but a freewheel bike with brakes will work and what could be better than doing it with a vintage French bike? OK, a lot of things LOL but you get the idea. Good excuse to share a pic of the folder (or not). It had languished in the back of a garden shed for 20 some years and looked it when I brought it home. It's now a 7 speed with a 53t chainring, it will fly which gets a little spooky with the 20" wheels, short wheelbase and my high center of gravity!