Old 01-10-23, 04:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson
just get a second hand base bar, idk what supply is like in America but plenty around pretty cheap in the UK (seems like the TT scene has collapsed) - as long as its inside your body I can't see there is much advantage going narrower with the base bar but would think you just give away watts out of the gate with the loss of leverage (and probably the lower height with something like this)
I haven't tried a standing start with a flatter base bar but if I wanted to replicate the height of my drops (or the drop of my drops) I'd need a much lower base bar. Hence the appeal of a non-TT bar that has a pretty open "drop" where it's easy to move the hands up and forward. Like that short lived 3T base bar that has rearward pointing "base bar hooks", versus forward facing ones.

Bonus would be if I could use the same "base bars" for normal mass start racing.

I was looking at the Profile Svet V or whatever their deep drop one is. The other option is to use my road stem which has 3 cm drop, and some marginally shallow drop base bar.

Honestly I have no idea how close I am to UCI limits up front. I know my saddle is close, and I also know that my preferred drops might be too low. On the road bike my drops are next to the tire. I'm not a big guy so I don't qualify for morphological exceptions but I suspect that I will be well within the limits, even if I stretch things out.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson