Old 04-10-21, 01:12 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
The website is verifying almost exactly what I am saying.
In negative, yes. You claimed that 70% of the shipping (I'm assuming you mean hulls, not tonnage) is bulk...which it is not. ROROs, Crude Carriers (Tankers), and LNG Carriers, are distinctly different types of ships than bulk carriers. Nevertheless, container shipping is HUGELY important to global supply chains, and a one week blockage at the Suez Canal is having big ripple effects to global supply chains...and that's the real takeaway, it wouldn't matter if container vessels were 15% to 50% of the shipping, the simple fact is that one ship tuned sideways at a critical chokepoint stopped the movement of goods and upended global supply chains that were already severely impacted by pandemic issues at the manufacturing facilities and this is only making it worse in terms of product availability.

Key takeaway, based on something that happened to me this week, if you want to purchase something, or think you'll need to purchase it soon, and it is available now....buy it now. FOMO is real, I delayed buying a new brake caliper to upgrade my kinda okay flat mount road caliper to a proper MTB 4-pot for my gravel bike and now it and the post mount adapter is unavailable "for six weeks or more" at several retailers and "long term unavailable" at most others. I think I may be waiting for a few months to get this conversion going...