View Single Post
Old 11-10-22, 06:25 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why are people so cheeaaaaap. Safety seems to be somewhere in 23rd place for people. Accept the tire is dead and get a new tire. A tire boot is an emergency thing to get you home or to the nearest shop beyond that, the sidewall is done. If it truly is a small cut and doesn't bulge I guess I would monitor it very closely and still probably just get a new tire to be sure.
Great response! I think it odd someone will spend $6,000 on a bike but want to patch a large split in a tire. I could understand if the person is very poor, and has a $50 used bike, and can't afford new tires, then maybe patching a tire cut is something they can afford to do. I will patch a cut in an emergency out on the road with a Park tire boot, but it's just so I can get home to replace the tire; of course, if the tire cut is really small that didn't go through the cords, I'll fill it in with Gorilla Glue super glue from the outside to seal it, but if the cut goes all the way through, I will replace it.