rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.
KMC and Sram are factory quicklink. I've had good luck with quicklinks on Shimano. Don't have direct experience with Campy though.

I'm sure if you don't use a Campagnolo pin, installed with a Genuine Campagnolo tool, Tulio will reach out from the grave and visit some evil upon you. So, be careful.
Likes For rjones28: