View Single Post
Old 06-23-22, 10:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
I'm going to think at the keyboard so here goes. 1) Are you kind to spokes or are you a head popper. (There are riders who can get away with 15g/1.8 spokes in your standard 2.3mm flange spoke hole and riders who will be cursed with popping heads. I'm one of those who can do it and have many times.)

2) A 2.0 spoke is .3 smaller than the regular spoke hole. A 1.8 .5 smaller. You are proposing .8 smaller. That would make me nervous. Can you get/afford 2.0-1.8-2.3 spokes? I hear really good things about the Sapims. That would bring you down to .5 with a very reputable spoke with lots of material. Another possibility would be to use washers at the heads. That should stop the pop but you'd have to check that the bottom of the J bend was long enough to exit properly out of the hub flange. It will quickly form a curved channel which will help but the thicker spoke together with the washer might be to much. First thing I'd do is go to an Ace Hardware and see if they have a thin quality SS washer to fit the spoke at the J bend. I would expect that washer to deform into a cone which should be just fine and that would buy you a little more distance across the J but that won't happen until you've tightened the spokes a lot.

Sorry, no answers here but maybe some ideas.