View Single Post
Old 06-26-22, 01:24 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
An update:

We are going with the double butted 2.0 / 1.8 / 2.0 DT Competition spokes. As stated above, LBS has experience with these spokes and this hub. I would have preferred using the 2.34 head diameter spokes, but not available...... Also, these DT Hybrid hubs have thicker flanges, so my LBS is concerned washers will interfere....So, we will see how these perform.....

When I look at my other wheels, which were custom built by Zinn in Colorado, I have a mixture of 2.3 diameter headed spokes which are single butted (probably DT Alpines) on the drive side rear and disk side front hubs, with double butted spokes on the NDS both front and rear. Looking closely at the actual head of the spoke and the hole of the flange, there is daylight, i.e., it is not a super close fit of the head on the flanges....both with the 2.0 headed and 2.34 headed spokes......

I'm confident this will work ok. 1) it is a 33# bike. 2) 36 spokes in a boost configuration is probably overkill, I think Specialized did boost spacing on this e-bike for chain line and the wider Q because of the motor /bottom bracket. I would have probably ridden the stock wheels if they were 32 spokes instead of 24....and 3) Right now these heavier gauge spokes are a PITA to source........

My guy assures me it'll be ok....

Last edited by 55tele; 06-26-22 at 01:39 PM.