View Single Post
Old 08-06-22, 07:13 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I'll be the oddball saying you are likely fine clamping to the fork with pclamps as long as you keep the pressure light. Most of the weight will be on the skewers/through axels which are designed to handle weight.

I recently cut up a carbon seatpost I that was slightly damaged by overtightening the seatclamp (or years of use and slight movement). I was surprised just how much effort it took to bend the post in half. I think I had to get to 1/4 of the diameter left before I could hear the crunching of carbon as I bent it. I believe at 1/8 I was able to break it by bending it in half. That is obviously not a scientific test and its comparing to a part meant to handle compression forces, but I think the worry over compressing a carbon fork is likely overblown. Forks are designed to handle a lot of forces, especially the torque of the lever arm (the fork) hitting the road. This in itself is a type of compressive force along the length of the fork.

i do wish more road bikes had rack eyelets though. best of luck.