Old 11-07-17, 07:16 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I use Bont Vaypors. I got 'em for like $40 (which I think is 90% off the original MSRP or somethin' crazy) when a shop closed. Otherwise I'd be on something decidedly more midrange.

Bonts have pros and cons. They really work well for some people; they really don't work for some people.

They are heat-moldable and have a wider toe box and more prominent arch support than most shoes. They also are a little deeper; pairing mine with Giro insoles that have stick-on arch supports of different heights has been important for me - otherwise I max down how much I can tighten the shoes and it's not enough.

They're quite stiff, because the sole comes up on each side of the foot. The first time I sprinted on Bonts I could feel a distinct difference between what I was wearing and what I had worn the day before.

I use a cheaper pair on the road, where I'm less enamored with them. When I tighten down the ratchet to the end, it pops off one tooth when I sprint. When I get them feeling real snug, I lose a little bit of feeling. And I keep wanting to re-mold the dang things to try to get some stuff perfect... I think I'd be fine with a shoe that has a little more manufacturing consistency and less customize-ability.

There are stories of Bont trying to scale up some 8 years ago, and temporarily losing a lot of QC in that process - it's one of the things that makes the brand pretty polarized. Some people had bad experiences during that time... other people kept swearing by them.