Old 01-22-18, 10:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
Do you have some evidence suggesting this is an empirical decision? Because that is a BIG assumption. The more I hear about elite athletes, and professional riders, the less inclined I am to think they have ANY reason or logic to the things they do, or equipment they use. Remember the link to the Zipp testing?

I don't mean the tone of that to be super confrontational, but I am skeptical at best.

I remember someone had some data suggesting massive increases in watts "just from using straps" but as I recall, wasn't that for standing starts? Do we have any pursuit data with straps vs not straps? Or any data from flying efforts (which would, hypothetically, negate the increased watts in a start) with straps vs not?

Personally, I would never be able to get the strap tension right. If they were loose enough to be comfortable for 20+ minutes, they wouldn't do any good, and conversely if they were tight enough to do anything, they wouldn't be comfortable to ride!
Sorry, no I don't. I shouldn't have stated it that way. I should have written, "maybe" with a question mark. You are right, it could be superstition.

This would be very easy to test.

My only evidence is anecdotal and what I see in photos. And the few people I can convince to try it.

I convinced Oscar Clark to try using double my double straps (attached to Speedplays at the time) at 2009 collegiate track nationals for his IP. I included his kilo times as well to offer more data as to how he was riding.

Oscar Clark (of BMC/Hincapie)
https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/?compid=221975

2009 (Trexertown): 4:51.7 pursuit (using straps) / 1:13 kilo
2010 (Major Taylor): 4:52.7 pursuit / 1:12 kilo
2011 (Major Taylor): 5:01.4 pursuit / 1:13 kilo

In 2009 He placed 3rd to two other future pros, David Williams (now of Astellas) and Joey Roskoff (now of BMC). He said he really liked them ...but I don't think he ever bought a pair of his own

I know I'm grasping at straws here. But, I truly think something is there.

Straps can be frustrating at times. One reason many people prefer laceup shoes with straps is because normal cycling shoes with 2 velcro straps (or a BOA disc) on the lower part of the foot can guide the strap into an uncomfortable spot between the two velcro straps causing pinching. This is worse with double straps.