Old 11-11-20, 07:48 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Shimano and Campagnolo 11spd cassettes are interchangeable, but 8-9-10 cassettes are not.
Interesting, thanks so much! Chances are I'll be going 10 speed so that pretty much covers it.

Originally Posted by Leinster
I have run Campag Mirage/Chorus 8spd shifters/derailleurs with shimano 8 spd cassette and kmc 9 speed chain and it worked fine. The key is to index to a middle gear (ie, the 17 or 19 on my 13-26 8spd setup) and that will split the difference in the cog spacing at either end of the shifting. Iirc the difference between Shimano and Campag 8 speed cassettes is 1.6mm in width, so by indexing to the middle, the outer gears are within about 0.8mm of alignment, which is good enough to get around. 9 and 10 speed may have tighter tolerances that would make it harder to get this right.

If you have shimano wheels knocking around, I would use this approach first, and check if the shifting meets your approval, before going out and buying a set of campag-ready wheels, which might be hard to find and expensive.
Thanks for the response. I'd like to have crisp shifting but I'll be getting the group on before the freehub so can always try. I won't be swapping the wheels themselves, just the freehub. Industry 9 has the freehub for about $110 not including pawls which I have. I emailed them to see if there was a chance for a swap with me sending the freehub back since it's never been used or even mounted. I've been sitting on the wheels for the last few months since I was pissed at myself for not having a spare set when I always have in the past (and needed them due to a creaking bearing that I was waiting for parts on). In the end, I received the new bearings at the same time as I received the wheels so I've never actually used them.

I was planning to get a set of wheels for the DeRosa rehab but now that funds are a little tighter I decided to use these wheels on the bike and convert to Campy.

thanks again folks!
Likes For robbyville: