View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 05:22 AM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My only experience is with Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST w/ Mavic Yksion tires. This is my 3rd season with them and they have been very good. Last week I swapped out the Yksions for a set of Vittoria Corsa Gs. FWIW the Mavics cost about $600 for the pair and that included tires. Bought from Competitive Cyclist. Mavic has gone through some financial difficulties and I think it's harder to find the ones I have. Especially at that price.
PM sent.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The Zipp doesn't seem like anything special with a 17mm inner width (narrow by today's standards), and what you linked is showing only the front wheel at a 750g weight by itself.
You could consider some Hunts if you want a stock option: eg. HUNT 36 CARBONWIDE.
I caught the 17mm width after I made my post, actually. Thanks, anyway, for pointing that out. I found and was considering the 2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest, but they, too(?), were hookless and not compatible with any of the tires I was interested in using. I wonder if anyone's tried them, though, and what tire combo they use. Will have to dig around a bit when I get a chance.

As for Hunt, if it wasn't for the wait time, I'd probably jump on board. Aside from that, though, I'd found a thread on here where there were a bunch of negative reviews about the brand. Some saying that they use low end Chinese rims and hubs, others claiming that they've owned a pair and found them to be "garbage." So...I don't know. For every negative review there's probably 30 positive, but for now, since I'm not quite sure what to think about the brand, I'm going to have to put them on hold. Thanks, anyway, for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by robbyville
personally I don’t see any reason to spend more.
I mean outside of time and convenience, I'm with you 100%. I just personally don't want to wait a month (or, in some cases, up to four months or more) to get my wheels, especially when I can have a pair delivered by the weekend. I'm definitely not knocking the process. When I figure out what components I want and what I need out of a wheel, finding a reliable builder seems like the logical path to take. For now, though, I think I'm just going to buy a pair I can find online and call it a day.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
For a $1500 budget, something like HED Jet might make the most sense. They're around $1200, and combine an aluminum rim (and brake track) with a carbon faring for aero gains. They're reasonably light, fast and they look cool. https://store.hedcycling.com/jet-plu...ct-description
Seems as though the smallest rim depth they carry is 46mm and I would prefer to have something less than 40. Perhaps leaning way more towards 30 than 40.

If it were my money, I'd probably buy a set of these: https://chrisking.com/collections/he...plus-r45-28-28
1600g, tubeless, 20mm width, smooth and fast hubs that will last a lifetime, all for $1000.
Thanks, but there's up to a four month wait on those things. Was hoping to get something soon.

Carbon wheels are cool, and the Light Bicycle stuff all gets rave reviews, but rim brakes on carbon wheels (especially in the wet) are definitely a compromise that should be considered carefully.
Yea', I've thought about and looked into the braking issue a bit these past couple days. I don't ride in wet weather, I don't race and I'm on flat roads like 99% of the time, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by robbyville
I would absolutely agree with the above statement if you regularly ride in wet environments.
Unless I get caught in the rain, I'm mainly on dry land.

Originally Posted by primov8
Had I not transitioned to disc brake frames, the wheelset PWB built for me rode as good as the Shamal Ultras I had in the stable. At literally half the cost.
Thanks. I'll definitely keep them in mind. How long were you on the PWB's and how were they holding up before you transitioned over to disc?