Old 12-22-21, 07:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Most all my rides have been great. Some group rides were extremely social. Others extremely H-fests. Some spectacular weather (unusual for us out here).
But the one ride which stands out this year is a recent Dec 1. solo mtb ride from our Los Padres Red Rocks, past Gibraltar Reservoir, to the old Sunbird Quicksilver mine. It's been some time since I've considered mtb, and re-entry this year was a memorable thing! I hadn't been there in at least a year... and that was by hiking. Riding was beyond my state, until recently, since it requires some decent level of balance and singletrack skills for the 'no-mistakes' steep and rocky sections.
The ride starts at the Red Rocks parking area, along Paradise road in the Southern Section of the Los Padres National Forest - a few miles further from this idyllic scene on Paradise rd.

Idyllic Paradise Rd, Los Padres National Forest, 2 weeks after our seasonal 1st rainfall.

Ride climbs up a 4WD rd for a few miles, paralleling the Santa Ynex River, below (dry at this time of year) which goes to Gibraltar Reservoir and eventually comes to a singletrack which heads further to the Sunbird Quicksilver mine.

View down to the currently dry Santa Ynez river - return leg trail winds below, along and with frequent river crossings

The Sunbird mine was active until the 1950's , but now long 'abandoned'. The very small dirt road used for mine access has long overgrown and covered with fallen rock, vegetation and eroded to tight scree and ravines - except for the short section just near the mine, prolly held clear by the large amounts of red mine slag from the cinnabar.

view down and north to the Sunbird Mine, from singletrack, with small remaining road section leading down to mine.

A wonderful day, solo ride, with wonderful views of the Los Padres backcountry. My recently upgraded' , now 'Mullet-ized (27.5 frt , 26rr wheels) & dropper seatpost, '04 Spec Epic M4 comp handled the conditions with huge improvement. Looking forward to adding the new short stem and wider bars.

Sunbird Quicksilver mine, East end Gibraltar reservoir, cinnabar slag heap below mine, my '04 Spec Epic M4 comp mullet, 27.5 frt 7 26 rr

The trail travels along the left, mountainside and works it's way to the notch in the background. The flat green area is the far eastern end of Gibraltar reservoir. This section has been dry for a few years, due to our extreme drought conditions. Thankfully we have had substantial rainfall this month and expect more of the same today thru Christmas day.
Return leg retraces the Singletrack and then loops down to and follows the Santa Ynez river (seen in pic 2) back to trail head
Anxious to ride more trails in this area, in the coming year...
Happy New Year and many more 'Best Rides' to all !
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-22-21 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: