View Single Post
Old 12-23-21, 09:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
All of 'em! After bike commuting most days for 28 years, the office I worked at closed at the end of 2020. Beginning this year, at 59 years old, for the first time I was working from home and for myself. I was genuinely worried I would not find the motivation to ride, and when I did, I would be cutting my rides short, since there would be no real destination. And I was even more worried I would begin finding excuses NOT to ride.

So in the spring when I found an old, broken, but fixable folding bike for a steal, I snatched it up and began restoring and modifying it: Bull-horn bars for a more road-bike experience, wider gearing...lower for hills, higher for cruising, and serious tires. (although they are not in the photo below). I was eager to explore this new bike and experience it to the fullest.

This also led me to ride my other bikes so I could compare and contrast the experiences.

Turns out...I still love riding, and have been looking for any excuse to ride. My older commuter has baskets to carry stuff. I fashioned a big, big detatchable basket for the folder...and a trailer, ostensibly for carrying the airline compliant suitcase it and the bike fold into.

While all my rides have been from home this year, each of my bikes fit easily into my SUV and in the coming year I plan to explore riding beginning further from home. And I now have the freedom and autonomy to do that.

I suppose the same motivation that made me choose the bike over the car most mornings of my life is still in full effect, and I am still riding most days...just not to and from an office.

I am fortunate, because it turns out that whenever I am feeling lost, dejected or frustrated my brain says "Bike it out!". And there hasn't been a day this year when my brain hasn't whispered "bike!"

There are however three modest rides that stood out this year: My first ride to the old office after the sign had come down (bittersweet); my first ride to the old office on the folding bike, which I had wanted to do for years (but had no folding bike), and the first folding bike ride up to the scenic overlook on the top of Palmer Park. Not a terribly difficult ride, but no walk in the park, and for some reason a rite of passage for every bike I have owned.

And what a view!

Likes For BobbyG: