Old 01-17-22, 07:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
This does not pertain to the original issue, but rechargeable lithium AAA and AA are now available. Their capacity is lower than NiMH, given the internal circuitry that takes space. However, they provide stable 1.5V voltage and are far less vulnerable to low temp than NiMH. I switched to those for the bike and do not look back.
Thanks for posting. I was unaware of such batteries. Did some internet searches and found that yes they are out there. Some on Amazon needed their own proprietary charger but one brand had what looked like a micro USB jack for charging each battery without a separate charger.

Since you are using these, do you find much warning before you run out of power? With disposable or NiMH AAA batteries in my taillight, it gets dim as a warning that the batteries are getting low. But if the Lithium ones provide full power until they shut off, I would be hesitant to use for a taillight where I might not be aware that I no longer had a light on.

Touring, I charge up my taillight batteries once a week, I do not wait for them to get dim. But for my many bikes that I use for riding around near home I do not keep track of how many hours of use I have on each taillight, I wait for them to get dimmer.

So, could you elaborate on whether or not there is any warning before the batteries stop functioning, and if so, what is that warning like?

Thanks.