Thread: Bikecentennial
View Single Post
Old 09-24-11, 10:10 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikecentennial

Had dinner in town tonight with the wife and while walking around afterward ran into some folks from down our block. They were having ice cream and sitting on the sidewalk seating in front of the place. Don't know them well, but joined them and started jawing.

The annual block party was a couple of weeks ago ( close off the street and put out barbeques, keg, lawn furnature etc. - the adults sit around socializing and the kids get the glow in the dark necklaces and ride bikes in the dark without traffic - very fun for all)

Anyway - I didn't make it this year because I overdid it on a hard 80 mile ride after several sub par milage weeks. Was shot, incapable of socializing, and the last thing I needed at that point was a couple of beers.

Started explaining this to the guy down the street, and he offers up that he used to cycle. Matter of fact rode across the country. I asked what year and he said 1976. Having participated, I said Bikecentennial and predictably he said yes. Recounted memories and laughed about two guys on the same block having passed each other 35 years ago crossing the country in opposite direction. Had a good time talking memories and will get together to compare pictures of the trip.

Anyway it got me thinking - if there is a bikecentennial graduate on my block there must be some on the bikeforum touring forum.( I normally hang on the commuting forum)

So how about a shout out. Who participated ? When did you depart ? What direction did you go ?

I left on May 21 from Reedsport.