View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 05:57 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
They could, but they don't think enough people want that to make it worth the effort. Whether or not they're correct I can't say. There are products I think I'd prefer if they had less sugar,

But for many such products, the actual cost of ingredients is a pretty small fraction of the sale price. There are a lot of other costs involved in running an additional product line so adding a 'lower sugar' version would represent substantial extra cost even if the ingredients are a bit less. And there's competition for space in the retail sector, so vendors don't necessarily want to carry an additional item if the sales don't justify it. Mass marketing is most efficient if you maximize uniformity.
Well, I would guess there are more people like me, who realize sugar is not good for health, and that your taste buds adjust to lower levels of sugar. I dislike artificial sweeteners. I forget which comedian made a joke about them just "sliding through you' but I suspect that' s not all they do. I recently ran into some saccharine in little pink paper sacks and I was surprised to see that stuff still exists. I hear that some sugar-substitutes are made from plants instead of chemicals nowadays, but I just don't trust them . . . nor do I see the point. Barely-sweetened treats would taste really good, like dry wine compared with sweet wine if I still drank alcohol.