View Single Post
Old 08-19-21, 02:55 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
zjrog - I passed my final ankle x-ray test on Tuesday. Fusion is almost complete. Total down time was May 25-August 3. The surgeon suggested that I wear my AFO for a few weeks when I do anything vigorous so I'll wear it cycling beneath my Shimano SPD sandal pictured back at post #10. My brace is not as bulky as yours, only ankle height soft leather with an internal stiffener. I can cycle and walk fine now without it but it adds reassuring support.

Cycling feels as normal as before. The pedal axle rotation compensates for any reduced ankle action. There's little of that anyway when I cycle. I can still wiggle the ankle slightly and all arthritic pain is gone. Full disclosure: I had to add electric assist to my bike several years ago due to neuropathy in the opposite leg. That assist has been a big help with my current return to cycling.

Walking is a bit tentative for now but painless. I go down steps sideways as I get used to the new gait. Good luck with your procedure!
Awesome to hear you passed that final xray!!

I won't be able to wear the AFO brace later on as it matches the deformity of my ankle currently. I hope I don't require any brace for long if at all. I'm going to have to work during the later half of the 8 weeks NWB. As much work schedule as lack of vacation and sick time. Despite having an outdoor job, there is plenty I can do indoors. I used a knee scooter for teh 6 weeks NWB after my right achilles tendon repair. I'm considering one again. I'm also looking at the iWalk 2.0 knee crutch. It looks interesting and seems like it would be as easy to use as it looks. I'll have to see if insurance covers it or not. If not, I may order it ahead of time and try it before surgery.

As for cycling, I hope to be able to ride indoors once I can be partial weight bearing. I don't often stand anyway. I'll be curious to see if I can keep the midfoot pedal position or go back to normal fore foot. I have neuropathy in both feet as it is. My neuro doc thinks it is from my back injury 10 years ago, and it's not diabetic related (A1C is only 5.0). After my back injury I contemplated a trike, and will consider one in a few years all the same.

As you mentioned gait adjustment. My current gait is about as normal as most people's is. After my knee replacement last year, I worked REALLY hard to walk as normal as possible even with the AFO. I'm successful enough, nobody knows I have the ankle issue when I wear long pants. But I prefer shorts most of the year, even at work. Or the random days I wear my kilts at work... But I'm curious how my gait may change or need adjusted after 8 week NWB and 6 or so week partial weight bearing before being allowed to use a boot, then shoes a month or so later..

I'm anxious, really, to get this going. I just have to wait till after my wife's cataract surgeries.