3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah, I read some more comments and still just go back to- price items according to value. Its pretty darn simple- you could even just have two prices- high priced items and then everything else. Carbon drop bars dont need to be on the wall hanging with steel 25.4 bars. TRP brakes dont need to be in the bucket with DiaCompe G brakes.
My local collective prices bikes based on condition/quality, so why wouldnt components be priced the same?

Bikes that are refurbished and given away to kids/immigrants/whoever else really are not being fitted with anything more than 7sp components. I have seen trades where someone brings in a component they dont need in order to swap for one they do need because they cant pay for it- there just isnt a concern that someone will expect to trade their old seat post for a gently used Ultegra rear derailleur.

Seems like the OP's example created an inconvenient solution for an easily resolved issue.

...in a perfect world, with an unlimited supply of volunteer labor, many of them quite knowledgeable about bicycle components and current values, this is a wonderful idea. When you can easily resolve that shortage, I'm certain the rest will follow naturally.