yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
False, for me, at least. I tried waxing a chain once or twice. It involved removing the chain from my bike, finding a pan and putting it on the stove to melt the wax, submersing the chain and letting it penetrate, fishing it back out and letting it cool, then reinstalling it on the bike. Am I doing it wrong? My favorite drip lube, Boeshield T9, takes me less than five minutes to apply. (Much less when I'm not being picky about it.) There is very little mess, and my drivetrains work fine. I like the idea of waxing, but I don't see how I could possibly do it with anything comparable to the ease of a drip bottle. By the time I get to step 2 out of 5 for waxing, I could have been done with the T9.
One way to speed this up, and make it much safer, is using a crockpot or similar which you can set on 'low' and be guaranteed that it won't overheat the wax. You can just turn it on with the wax already inside and put the chain(s) on top before it even melted. You can walk away and at some point later just agitate and fish the chain(s) out when convenient and hang them to dry, ideally directly over the pot. So you don't actually have to watch any of the heating up or keep time. If you do 2-3 chains at once, you have nearly a thousand km of dry weather riding covered and all you need to do is swap the chains out via the quick link when they become due and re-wax the old chains when convenient.

In actual 'attendance time' I would say that I can wax a couple of chains, dry them, break them, store them, within the 5 minutes you do your Boeshield T9. Sure more time passes as these things soak and dry, but when it comes to ride readiness, it will take just a minute to swap an old chain with a pre-waxed one in-between batch waxing.
Likes For yaw: