View Single Post
Old 01-12-21, 09:02 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,133 Posts
The Piece of paper found in the seat tube by @retyred.
Needless to say it is old and worse for the years but I think it fairly well confirms the date of 1957 for this bike. This has writing on two sides, some of which bleeds through from one side to the other. I have used Photoshop to increase the contrast and make the writing a little more visible. I'll walk you through what I see here, one side of the paper at a time.

In the lower right is "9676" in pencil with some writing in ink over it. The serial number of this bike is D9676.

In the center right the paint is described: "Two tone red flam" and "Darker head and seat panels."

Above that is "24" which is the size of the bike in inches.

In the upper left is "Ohrt" the retail shop that originally sold the bike.

Below that is "Silver Clubman." I don't know what this references. Was there a pump or fender model named "Clubman?" Could this be a reference to the chrome fork?

I also don't know the reference of "8303" in the upper right corner.

So, on this first side of the paper we have a description of the frame and the shop which sold it.

Here is the other side:

This appears to be receipt 23296 (upper right corner) for an unrelated wheel rim as seen in the middle of the paper "1 27 x 1 1/4 H.P. 40 hole wheel rim.

Beneath that is the price of the rim I presume in shillings and pence if my rudimentary understanding of the pounds, shillings, pence system is correct, and perhaps the abbreviation for "Received" under that.

Upper left has an address that I can only partly read but I can make out Cheapside, Worksop. Was this the address of Carlton in Worksop or perhaps that of the customer for the rim.

But the important detail for our purposes is the date of the receipt "July 31st / 57."

My guess is that this is a receipt that was reused by Carlton to specify the paint and the customer for this frame. Presumably the frame was painted some time shortly after the date of the receipt. The chain stay cable stop and the front derailleur marks, as I have pointed out before, seem to confirm this hunch.

As always I welcome your ideas and suggestions.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris: