View Single Post
Old 03-15-24, 08:59 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 81 Posts
I live between small towns.
Not many services unless you go to the small towns.
I am between two cities that have hospitals, and as I recently had cause to make regular trip every day for a couple of months, I had to use my car.
There is a great smaller hospital near but shuts at 21.00hrs and does not have the equipment I required.
I love to cycle, but the rural roads are as dangerous as urban roads with people cutting blind corners.
I rarely see young children on their bikes on the main road on their own, as I used to do, to much traffic.

I love the idea of a 15min city, fully support it. I try to use the car as little as I can.
My car recently died, and getting to an appointment without it,and back again after surgery proved unrealistic. I had to use a work colleague, because even after surgery (neck dissection) I was deemed not to meet the criteria for hospital assisted transport and they would have left me to use a combination of buses and trains. I am in the process of buying a car as I write this, because I need one where I live, but wish the world was different.

Here is a “googly” or “curve ball” to our friends over the pond! Make the roads one way, and the other lane cycle. You can still use your car but it will take much more time for a round trip when you can go both directions on a cycle. No more land taken for tarmac.
This might encourage local business to set up, all that passing cycling trade going past as it would be less hassle than driving a round trip out of your way, unless you absolutely had to use a car. Until we see the light and introduce monorails and whatever it could be an evolutionary transport step, if you want to go revolutionary on the climate issue I’m with you, but I can’t do it without everyone else!

The world has a love affair with the car for many reasons, and the infrastructure is not there to replace it yet, this would be a quick first step. Why should the car have the right to the amount of space it has?
Likes For awac: