View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 10:18 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Was very pleased to hear that the big line storm was going to arrive later than previous forecasts had it, so took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe 18 miles through Arlington, Lexington, and Lincoln, under the highway and over the hill. Lots of climbs and descents on Marrett Road, Mill Street, Old Mass. Ave., and Mass. Ave., and a lovely Spring day that hinted at Summer.

Arlington High School construction barrier: No Congregation, Detenga La Variedad De Germénes.

Follen Community Church, East Lexington: the church is lovely, but the purple blossoms are stunning.

Cotton Farm, Marrett Road, Lexington. Lexington still has working farms if you know where to look, and used to have a good deal more of them. The old orchard at Cotton Farm is conservation land now, but serves as a reminder of the town's agricultural past.

Old Reservoir, Marrett Road, Lexington. Marrett Road always turns out to be a little longer than I think it should be, and the Old Reservoir provides reassurance that I didn't miss the turn-off on Middle Street.

Middle Street, Lexington, approaching Lincoln Street. Middle Street is only a few blocks long, and provides a discreet connector between Marrett Road and Lincoln Street. It's one of those streets that seems to disappear unless you look straight at it, but once you're on it, there you are. And soon you're somewhere else. It also has a nice little hill.

Cambridge Reservoir, Lexington Road, Lincoln. After rolling under Route 128 on Lincoln Street, and crossing the Lincoln line, we've got water. The fish aren't biting, but that hardly matters on a day like this. Besides, too many fish would make the Cambridge water taste funny.

Mill Street, Lincoln: somebody has built himself an aerie, in mid-century modern style. It blends into the hill, and can only be seen from the road in certain seasons. I covet this, in an abstract sort of way, but am nowhere near acquisitive enough for that to be anything more than a passing fancy.

Fiske Hill, Lexington: Spring is here, love is in the air, and two of those rocks are human, a fine demonstration of camouflage.

Lake Street, Lexington. In its own way, this 20th Century travel trailer is as worthy of covetous attention as the Mill Street aerie. I'd like to think this old couple have used it to wander the country.

Stone Store, Mass. Ave., Lexington: the long descent begins here, and a rollicking ride it is. My thanks to the Lexington DPW for keeping the pavement so smooth, it would be a very different ride otherwise.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-18-20 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: