Old 05-22-20, 09:25 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I love outside the box thinking but sometimes I think builders like Grant Peterson are maybe just being a little too cute in their designs? Like no disc brakes because they don't look cool. Wow. Way to make a stand. That's just one example of resisting some of the newer developments that make bikes better/safer (no brake caliper = ability to run wider tires, very cool think in Urban/Gravel environments alike, not trying to open a debate about brakes but there's no denying it allows a wider range of tire and wheel sizes)

I follow Jeff Jones and he's almost the opposite - he thinks the best looking bike is the most useful one and his IG features 0 bandanna-clad gen z-ers in birks and horn-rimmed glasses pushing anything, anywhere (full disclosure, I pushed my bike over a TTF this AM, nothing wrong with that, but, ya know...)

I think Riv bikes are VERY high quality and I respect Grant Peterson but this is my critique. If I were in the market for a bike like that I think I would go with a Crust Scapegoat or something similar; also hi quality, small batch steel bikes but they have embraced such advances as thru axles, disc brakes, etc, although their IG is equally annoying but that's just my taste (queue "ok boomer"/"get offmylawn")
Likes For davei1980: