Old 02-12-21, 11:25 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I don't disagree with either of you, and I have heard coaches say that they don't follow the original protocol because the 5 min effort takes too much out of people, hurting their FTP. But there is a difference if you are using FTP for training purposes versus a prick measuring contest. And i think it's for the latter for a lot of these 300w guys BTS is commenting on.
Yea I think it works for aerobic folks, but I think it underestimates how deep a hole the more sprinty type riders can dig for themselves. If I do a 5 min effort *all out*, I usually want to puke after and am jittery for the next 10 mins. I'll have trouble holding a power for 20 mins afterwards that I could otherwise sit at for a couple of hours, let alone anything near a proper FTP. Note that this isn't to say my 5 minute power will be amazing, just that I can hurt myself with it.

But I can do a 52 minute heavy negative-split test and get a realistic number just fine.

E.g.

These really didn't feel harder than a 20 minute test and they're a decent workout to boot

Last edited by wktmeow; 02-12-21 at 11:30 AM.