View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
You guys make some very good points. I'm not particularly an advocate for this, just thought it was interesting and worth exploring.

Be prepared, I'll be posting more advocacy topics, as I don't really have anyone knowledgeable to discuss it with, and I'm a bit bored of "this horrific crash and who's responsible!"

Totally on board with this, it's nice to actually discuss the ideas instead of wading through 24 pages of confirmation biased interpretations of carnage.

I think the contrast between this solution and the traffic circle brings up a broader issue, btw, that might be worth discussing. My instinctive reaction is that the traffic circle is such a robust solution that it overcomes the "QWERTY" problem--i.e., where an inelegant arrangement can't be replaced because the learning curve and replacement costs for the new arrangement are too high while ELR won't because it's too limited in applicability for the exceptional markings not to be confusing, thus the learning curve will never be surmounted.

BTW, traffic circles also have their own QWERTY problem--they can only be installed in places where there's enough land available to install them, and often the existing ROW is insufficient and can't be altered.

So I think this brings up an issue that mr_bill would be a whole hell of a lot more qualified to discuss than I would, which is when discussing a change in infrastructure or road rules, isn't the first question that needs to be answered "how will this change graft onto the existing infrastructure?"