sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That is certainly a realistic target. But you should really focus on your training methodology and nutrition. Your target FTP won’t make any difference at this stage.

You might also want to think about what you intend to do with your increased bike fitness. Are you looking to race, TT, ride timed endurance events, hill climbs etc or is this simply an arbitrary fitness goal?
Thanks. My goals are looking to race. I would like to focus on road racing and rolling hills type courses. This is to some degree an arbitrary number though just to give me something to shoot for as I want to become better at racing.

So here's a quick snapshot of my training plan (starting this week):

And it's more or less this until a taper down for my planned first road races in May 2024. A different plan will commence then, then picked up at the end of the "spring classics" season sometime in July 2024 or something like that. What's not represented here is that I will, on the days off, either play ice hockey, lift, or just rest depending on energy (probably mostly rest TBH). Furthermore, depending on feel, I will slot in a 1-hour swimming session instead of a road session if I feel the need to give my legs a rest.

My nutrition plan is pretty straight forward, and I'll see how it goes: a 30-30-40 carb-fat-protein ratio, eating clean and homecooked. Nothing sophisticated, lots of whey protein, with a higher emphasis on carbs > fat on days with longer rides (2 hours or more). Not sure how far this will get me, and I am admittedly focused on macros only (don't know enough to get more sophisticated than that). Caloric intake target is currently 1600 with goal of trimming down to 135 lbs over the next several months, but energy levels will dictate whether I go above that (in fact, I figure I will as the semester rolls along and I'm doing a lot of teaching).