Old 09-08-22, 11:26 AM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I'm facing a similar puzzle at the moment on my gravel bike, with the added wrinkle that the fork is carbon, and has no crown hole that goes through. There's a rivnut in the back to mount a fender, but I have yet to find a bracket that would reach under the crown, and I don't have a machine shop to try and make one. The fork has three rivnuts on each blade for mounting bottles or racks, and I think a long m5 bolt with a nylock nut against the fork and another holding the lamp against the head of the bolt might do the trick.

Wire routing is the real conundrum, though. I want the lamp on the left, but the hub connector is on the right. I'd like to minimize the use of zip ties, both for aesthetic reasons, and to avoid abrasion against the carbon. I'm thinking I might splice the wire with 2.8mm spade connectors, right below the lamp, staggered along the wire, so they're not directly adjacent, then run the wire through the 6mm openings of the hollow thru-axle (I thought about Schmidt's coax connectors, but they're 6.2mm in diameter). If I need to take off the wheel, I disconnect it on the lamp side, pull the wire back out and use my 6mm Allen key to remove the axle.

Any obvious flaws to this plan?