Old 08-03-21, 03:35 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
60 Miles on 60 (C&O Canal)

My odometer clicked over to 60 today. I celebrated by riding 60 miles on the C&O Canal. I've been riding regularly for about a year now, but limited to a max of 30 mile rides (I can average around 16 mph on those). I live two miles from the Canal, so its a regular ride for me. For this event, I went upriver 15 miles, than downstream 30 miles and back 15 miles to my starting point. I lucked out, and it was a cool day here in Maryland, in fact at 59 degrees at 7 AM, I had to layer on a long sleeve windshirt. At 30 miles, I was averaging 15.4 mph and held that until the 45 mile mark. Then, fatigue set in and I dropped a few. A group of six riders had passed me at the 45 mile turnaround point. I ate a banana and drink then set out after that group I caught them 8 miles from the finish and didn't have the energy to pass them. At 3 miles to go, they said go for it and I was able to get around them and finished strong, with a 15.3 mph average (I was pleased with this outcome). They stopped when I finished and chatted,a very nice group of riders from NJ, doing the entire canal. I gave them some tips for lunch at my town (Williamsport) and where to eat at their evening's destination upstream. I was pretty beat at home, but now at 5, I'm ready for my birthday dinner and some beers to celebrate (but in our MGB, NOT the bike!). A lot of folks here in my age group have done significantly more difficult rides and reading about them was definitely inspirational - so thank you folks! Cheesy pictures to follow.

Victory salute, managed to do this without breaking anything or hurting myself

Ride summary, Garmin did great!

Near Ft. Frederick

45 mile point

Done!