Old 12-12-13, 01:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 8bits
How the Rotor 3D Track crank compare to the Dura Ace 7710? Are they in the same league?
Always wondered why I don't see the Rotor often being used at the top events (when SRM is not in use).
When it comes to Shimano, it seems that their mantra is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They got it right with their Dura Ace Track Cranks. It's a design that is difficult to improve upon.

ROTOR cranks haven't proved themselves to have any advantage over Sugino 75, Dura Ace, or Omniums for sprinters and Campy for enduros. But, they haven't proven themselves to be inferior either.

There aren't very many out there. I've only seen photos of one person using them on a track bike (Jack Lindquist). He's a pretty strong/fast guy. And I think there was a young national level woman sprinter in Colorado using them (I can't recall her name).

So, there is no reason not to use them. I think people would rather spend less for one of the standard "known" cranksets listed above. Maybe if ROTOR lowered the price and/or gave them to a few popular riders they would become more popular.