Old 10-12-16, 02:40 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
1- Does the market make what it wants to sell to the customer, even though it's inferior.
2- Does the market make what the customer wants to buy, A superior product.
I find carbon to be a superior product.
I disagree with your analysis within the range of bicycles.
Any smart manufacturer that is in business for selling products to the masses will make the product that the masses want. Read this forum and see what people are asking for. They want a smooth riding bike. They want a bike that smooths out the rough roads. From what I have always heard the best material to use for that is steel, not aluminum and not carbon fiber.

Manufacturers are also in business to stay in business. If they want to be able to market the best, aka the most customers, then they also have to give good warranties with their bikes. The problem comes in with when the bikes break down. Sure carbon fiber is a lot better today then what it was back in the 80s and 90s but carbon fiber is still weaker and more likely to break then steel...unless I'm mistaken. If they don't want to have to replace frames, aka cost them money, then they want to build frames that will last the long haul and give the best ride for the least buck. This isn't carbon fiber.

Stop and put yourself into the CEOs seat of the manufacturer and stop and think about what you really want to do if you want to be able to sell the most bikes and not have to replace them. Tourists aren't riding unloaded bikes, they are riding fully loaded bikes and you read the trip reports of some of these people that are carrying 60, 80, even 100 pounds of gear on their bike that is going to cause the frame to break down faster, especially on bumpy roads or off road even for that matter. Would you want to be trying to sell an expensive bike up against another manufacturer that is selling a cheaper steel frame that is going to last longer and handle the load better and ride smoother because the frame material is better designed to absorb the shock.

If you stop and think about for a while you'll realize why they do/make what they make. If you want something different than like other guys stated in your other post go out and have it custom made. The way you have 'your' bike is to buy the frame and then assemble it with the components you want. It will be your bike built your way.

No person, and not even any two tours are the same and have the same bike that would be the best bike for the trip. My first three trips I rode I Specialized Allez Comp, mostly single speed...actually the third trip I was using a flip flop hub with chain tensioner so I was completely single speed for the entire 5000+mile trip. I was using a backpack to haul the 40 pounds of gear around. Last years trip I was using a Specialized Secteur with rack and kitty liter buckets hauling 30 pounds of gear for 8400 miles. Until shortly before the trip I was going to be using the Allez Comp riding it fixed gear. I got too good of a offer at the local bike shop for an unsold 2010 Secteur for $25 over cost(think I paid $550 for it) still new with warranty and I took it and got it prepped for the trip and used it instetad. Given the trip, at least part of it I'm glad I wasn't on the fixed gear. Yeah I would do fixed gear for a long haul trip.

There is no bike out there, expect maybe one, that can claim to one size fits all...both all purposes and all people. You have to make the bike to your liking. I don't think I would do another fully assembled purchase again. I would order the frame and then assemble it my way.