Old 08-08-19, 07:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Got up early to head out for my daily walk/run. My teenage son was still awake. I asked him if he wanted to go walking with me and to my surprise he said, "yes" but he didn't want to go my whole three mile walk. We took a one mile lap around the neighborhood and he went back home, then I picked up the pace and ran for a couple more miles.

Then I hopped on the bike and headed to work. I was already good and sweaty from the running so I decided to push the pace a little. After I got on the MUP I noticed a rider about 100 feet behind me. A half mile later I noticed he was still 100 feet behind me, and being in the mood to get some exercise I figured I'd pick up the pace even more and show him what a bicycle commuter can do.

He stayed with me for over five miles until I took a left turn over a railroad bridge to get on the road for the last two miles to the office. As I slowed for the turn he shouted, "Dang it! You were my pace man!" I smiled and waved and he continued on down the MUP. Apparently he too was in the mood to get some exercise.

Had a guy close pass me about 3/4 of a mile from the office. He was wearing headphones and seemed oblivious to my shouting and hand waving.

Made it the eight miles to work in a few seconds less than a 1/2 hour. Not a bad pace for this fat guy considering I stopped a few times for signs and traffic signals. When I arrived I noticed that I've already ridden 600 miles on my bicycle since being allowed back on it after my heart surgery. So that's kinda cool.