View Single Post
Old 05-07-22, 02:09 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
I didn't intend this to be a comprehensive guide to panniers. I did not even mention other luxury fashion bags like the latest from Brooks, vinyl-clad alternatives to Ortlieb from Vaude or MS-X, more colorful nylon bags from Arkel and MEC, classics from Carradice, or any of the countless ways to hang sacks, bags, and buckets for next to nothing. In all, these are different variants of style, design, and materials, but they all fit one of the ways I discussed with respect to weight and bulk distribution -- which is what this thread is about. Migeon thought the French had everything figured out in 1948, but we continue to see every variant of load placement imaginable and while we might presume that some cyclists have things figured out better than others, it's doubtful that there is one formula to prescribe the ideal packaging for every load and situation.

In outfitting my latest bike, I'm desiring to load the front, but am mindful of the need to keep any front panniers slim enough they don't strike the downtube when turning. Moving a load up to a porteur rack, rando bag, the trunk position or a saddlebag is going to increase the bike's roll rate. Low-riders in the rear need to be located far enough aft of the rear axle that they move the center of gravity considerably rearward. It's also noteworthy that for smaller, lighter loads, it can be simpler, more cost-effective, and will weigh less overall if fewer racks and bags are used. Suppose I put Nitto Campee racks front and rear and fitted six or seven different bags in nearly every conceivable position so that the weight and bulk could be distributed as ideally as possible. I might have added 10 pounds of racks and bags and if my load is only 30 pounds, that's neither efficient or cost-effective.