View Single Post
Old 04-14-22, 10:09 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
OK, I’m gonna give it a go this year!

This is a Univega Ital Sport I bought complete off local CL for $75 a year or so ago. I sold the parts and wheels (well, except for the stem) for I forget how much but it was a least $75 . I am not going to bill for the time spent trying to get that stem unstuck. If I could bottle and sell the bonding force of a stuck stem or post, I’d be a rich man and a lot of the world’s problems would be solved.

Next step will be trip to the coop for a new old fork. I do have an old 1” MTB cantilever fork which might just vault this bike to the top of the clunker leaderboard.
I don't know if you've tried this method, but I used it to free a hacked off hunk of stem lodged in the steerer of my Tim Neenan Lighthouse - it involved some saw cuts, but in the end I think it was the socket wrench and the hammer - the cylindrical shape transmitted the force more effectively in whacking the thing out. I used a big wooden block and a headset locknut to prevent damage to the steerer threads. And if you haven't noticed, Clunker Challenge and smacking things with a big hammer go together like grits and gravy.