View Single Post
Old 02-15-21, 04:08 PM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can only speak for myself as I average about 300 Watts, give or take. I have a lot of roll-off being a sprinter and find it gets harder and harder to hold power the closer it gets to an hour. I absolutely loathe Alpe du zwift which I have yet to conquer in an hour. I see 300 Watt averages in the results from competitive Bs on Zwift. On the road, I can usually keep up with the second fastest group ride groups in a large metro area. No clue what race category I'd be competitive in these days. I never had a power meter during my racing days when I had a higher heart rate and 20 pounds lighter. These days I usually enter C events based on my calculated FTP and weigh-in right before events and calibrate often. I'm just under the C/B line but a lot of races are close to an hour and I know I'm not competitive against 3.9s so I stay in the Cs unless I want a challenge. I know there's sandbagging, weight doping, height doping and all kinds of other shenaniganry going on. I've even had a jersey taken by a Zwift Insider bot that was flying through Watopia at super-human speeds. Not sure what they were testing but I wasn't too happy about losing a jersey to a cyborg. Thanks to power meters, I now know I'm best at 15-30 seconds efforts than longer efforts (1757 - 5 second, 708 - 1 minute, 426 - 5 minute, 346 - 20 minute). Being a heavier rider In Zwift, I just try to stay off the front and then work hard to stay in over the steeper hills. My W/kg are noticeably lower than those around me on the flats but my Wattage is slightly to considerably higher, depending on the gradient. On steeper gradients I have to match W/k exactly. Trying to lose weight. If I got down to my college weight with my current power I'd be at the top end of the Bs. Looking at the chart that was posted earlier makes me want to cry inside to compare my Wattage with W/kg, but it is what is until I can get down to fighting weight again. Below is a screen shot from Zwift Power.

Likes For nmanhipot: