View Single Post
Old 12-17-21, 02:56 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How's the big dude thing work? Why not once you have the mega power drop the pounds and keep the power? Is that not practicable?

I just never understand that, why not go out and eat a lot more, gain power, then drop the weight. That sounds naive, but I really don't understand. As I thought you had to have the heart/lungs to go with it. If a person holds their weight and has reached their normal cyclist leg sizes, gains are in the heart/lungs/mitochondria. It's not growing larger legs. Right?

So that's why I'm confused how a really large dude can make so much power on so little training volume. If someone is into that physiological info, I'd be all ears.
Yeah, this is something I have argu...uh, friendly discussions about frequently with the folks I race on Zwift with. They contend that racing me is unfair because my greater raw W at the same W/kg gives me an advantage on the flats (I'll agree somewhat but W aren't the only factor even on flats, and I have a bigger CdA due to my height and my weight gives me a bigger coefficient of friction), while we're both at the same level on the climbs. I argue that, even if we proportionally have the same amount of increase on accelerations or climbs, the extra 50W that I have to find that they don't for each 1 W/kg we increase has to come from somewhere. Energy ain't free and going from cruising at 330 to hitting 650/700 up the legsnapper vs their 195 to 390 makes me burn more matches for the same burst.

I also don't really get why I can increase a few W with less training than someone lighter than me unless having to carry my bulk around all day every day is a sort of resistance training for my muscles. Training improvement seems to track more with W/kg than W if you just look at bulk training. Could also be that I train very inefficiently, so I have a lot more room to improve than someone at the pointy end. I mean that's definitely true, but I'm not sure how that fits with the whole being bigger means I can improve more raw W than a lighter person at a similar fitness level.

As far as just getting strong big and then losing weight, it was sure a lot faster/easier lose weight in my 20s/30s. After passing 40 a few years back, my metabolism has slowed way down (even though I'm riding a lot more than I did in most of my 30s and probably more than riding + volleyball in my 20s, which was my sport of choice back then) and dropping weight is a lot slower/harder than it used to be.