View Single Post
Old 05-28-22, 01:14 AM
smallpox champ

Bikes: '84 specialized expedition, '87 specialized sirrus, '84 specialized stumpjumper sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 14 Posts
C&V Inspired NBD: Custom 26" Drop Bar Build

My latest build, a custom 26" or Rene Herse 'RTP' frame and fork sporting Humptulips Ridge tires.

My previous personal bike was built with 'superlight' 7-4-7 tubing, 650bx45mm (actual) max, titanium bits and bobs to save weight, the result felt a bit precious.

This bicycle was meant to be quick and dirty. The frame is built with new Reynolds 531 8-5-8 std. dia. tubing, lightweight Reynolds seatstays, and Tange bent chainstays for lots of tire clearance. Socket style dropouts and fork ends are easy for fabricating. Fillet brazed. Pacenti fork crown. I pushed the head tube angle to a slackish 69.5 degrees, with a 46mm fork offset, highish trail, meant for stability. 26" wheels still feel very practical in my mind. The XO-1 was a large inspiration for making my own frames.

The build is nothing stupid, meant for practicality:
Crust Shaka bars
Origin8 Classique levers
Shimano 9 speed bars ends
Nitto Technomic stem
Tangle FL250C headset
Paul Neo Retro & Touring brakes
Brooks saddle
Thomson Masterpiece post
Shimano UN55 118mm BB
SunXCD crank
TA 46/28 chainrings
Shimano Dura Ace 7700 front derailleur (a bit precious)
Shimano XTR 952 rear derailleur
Shimano M770 11-34 9 speed cassette
Shimano XT 737/738 hubs
DT 15g spokes
Of interest, Sta Tru TR25 26" rims, rim brake and tubeless
Rene Here Humptulips Ridge tires, 559x52mm @ 20 psi
RAL 1027 color code

I've only taken one or two shake-down rides, but it does feel stable, lively and fun. The tires do feel fast, and are quiet on pavement, I have yet to set them up tubeless, a must. I am excited to ride more!

-Devin

Last edited by smallpox champ; 05-28-22 at 10:01 AM.